U.S. Heavy Cavalry sword with steel scabbard
During the American Civil War (or Civil War, 1861-1865), swords and sabers were not exclusively produced on American soil, but were also imported en masse from Europe by both the Union and Confederate States. This explains why there are many variations of surviving originals.
While not a full-on replica of any historical original, this beautiful, inexpensive sword is based on a French design that was popular with officers and privates alike on both sides of the conflict (and in many countries in the 19th century was in use).
The straight blade made of spring steel EN45 is fullered on both sides. The wide fuller runs directly below the spine for about two-thirds of the blade length. The unsharpened cutting edge is approx. 0.8 mm thick and the end-to-end blade tang is riveted to the end of the handle.
In the case of the generous vessel, the guard plate merges into four struts that reach up to the sturdy pommel. The four-braced basket and the grip cap are made of brass and have a beautiful patina. The wooden core grip is wrapped in black leather and twisted brass wire.
The cavalry sword is supplied with a matching all-steel scabbard with two ring bands, movable carrying rings and a ball-shaped end piece.
It is pointed out that this sword is not battle-ready. It is designed as a collector's item or decorative object and is also ideal as a prop.
- Material: EN45 spring steel blade (high carbon steel, not stainless), antique-finish brass hilt, leather-covered wooden grip with brass wire wrapping
- Total length: approx. 106 cm
- Blade length: approx. 90 cm
- Handle length: approx. 14.5 cm (handle section approx. 10 cm)
- Max. blade width: approx. 3 cm
- Blade thickness: approx. 4 mm (0.8 mm in the front third towards the tip)
- Cutting edge: approx. 0.8 mm
- Center of gravity: approx. 17.8 cm in front of the guard
- Incl. metal scabbard with carrying rings
- Weight without sheath: approx. 1.3 kg
- Weight with sheath: approx. 2 kg
The specifications above may vary slightly from copy to copy.
The steel used here is not stainless and may show slight signs of corrosion. We recommend that you regularly care for the blade and sheath, e.g. with Ballistol, a universal oil that is ideal for preserving steel goods.
This item is for sale only to persons over the age of 18.
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: 2646
- SKU: 0116311900